Welcome to the website of the Consumer Motor Vehicle Recovery Corporation (CMVRC)

Welcome to the Consumer Motor Vehicle Recovery Corporation (CMVRC)!

In 2008, California law created CMVRC to establish a Consumer Recovery Fund. The CMVRC has established a Consumer Recovery Fund for the payment of claims by California consumers who suffer losses as a result of a California licensed dealer or lessor-retailer of motor vehicles who has filed for bankruptcy or is no longer selling and leasing vehicles to the public, and has failed to:

  • submit license or registration fees received or contractually obligated to be paid from a consumer to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

  • pay to the legal owner of a vehicle transferred as a trade-in by a consumer to the dealer or lessor-retailer the amount necessary to discharge the prior credit balance owed to the legal owner

  • pay to the lessor registered in accordance with California Vehicle Code Section 4453.5 of a vehicle transferred as a trade-in by a consumer to the dealer or lessor-retailer the amount the dealer or lessor-retailer agreed to pay to the lessor

  • pay the amount specified in a consignment agreement to a consumer after the sale of a consigned vehicle 

  • provide good title, free of liens or other claims 

  • pay third parties for insurance, service contracts, or goods or services purchased through the dealer

CMVRC reviews and processes all claims made against the Consumer Recovery Fund and responds in writing once it reaches a decision. The decision may be to pay the claim in full, partially, or deny it. If needed, CMVRC may contact claimant to request additional information.

CMVRC is a private, non-profit corporation governed by the California Motor Vehicle Code and the CMVRC Bylaws. CMVRC is not a government agency or an insurance company. It is not associated with or controlled by any dealer or lessor-retailer of motor vehicles, nor does it represent any dealer or lessor-retailer of motor vehicles. CMVRC does not sell claimants' information.

Do I Have to Live in California to File a Claim?

No, you don't have to live in California to file a claim, but the dealer that harmed you must have been a California licensed dealer.

Can I File a Claim Concerning a New OR Used Car?

Yes, both new and used car transactions are eligible.

How Do I File a Claim?

If you believe you are eligible to file a claim, click here to file it online.

You May Also Print a Claim Form Here, or Request One by Mail Here:

CMVRC Claims Administrator

P.O. Box 8060

San Rafael, CA 94912-8060


Tel: 800-961-6175

Please Visit Our FAQ Page for More Information




Judy Fiorentini

(non-voting ex officio member of the board selected by the AG)

Albert Shelden


Henry Hansel

Vice President

Evie Jeang

Board Member

Hilary Haron


Rigoberto Reyes